New IRS Non-filers Tool to Request Child Tax Credit Advance Payments and Economic Impact Payments 

Recent changes to the Child Tax Credit mean that many families will be eligible for Advance Child Tax Credit payments starting on July 15, 2021. The IRS will pay half the total credit amount in advance monthly payments, and the other half will be claimed on 2021 tax returns. 

If you aren’t required to file a tax return, the IRS recently made it easier for you to claim the credit and request your monthly payments. 

The IRS has launched a new website where “non-filers” – people who aren’t required to file tax returns –  can request Child Tax Credit Advance payments or Economic Impact Payments (stimulus checks). 

The site provides a way for non-filers to submit information to the IRS that is usually submitted via tax returns.

Child Tax Credit Non-filer Sign-up Tool

If you don’t file a tax return but you’re eligible for the Child Tax Credit, use this tool to report qualifying children born before 2021. You must meet the following requirements: 

  • You are not required to file a 2020 tax return, didn’t file one and don’t plan to; and
  • You have a main home in the United States for more than half of the year.

You can find the sign up page here and the instructions here. The new sign-up website is a partnership between Free File and the IRS, so you will see the “freefile” logo at the top. 

Economic Impact Payment (stimulus check) Non-filer Sign-up Tool

Also, if you did not get the full amounts of the first and second Economic Impact Payment, you may use this tool if you:

  • Are not required to file a 2020 tax return, didn’t file and don’t plan to, and
  • Want to claim the 2020 Recovery Rebate Credit and get your third Economic Impact Payment.

You can find the sign up page here. You’ll see the “freefile” logo at the top. 

Who should not use this site? 

You are not eligible to use the Non-filer’s sign up tool if: 

  • You have already filed a 2020 federal income tax return.
  • Your 2020 gross income exceeded $12,400 ($24,800 for a married couple).
  • You were married at the end of 2020 but will not include your spouse’s information when using this tool.
  • You or your spouse can be claimed as dependents.
  • Your main home is not in the United States.
  • You’re requesting advance Child Tax Credit for a child born in 2021. (Note: Individuals claiming Recovery Rebate Credit, may continue.)

The IRS is always updating their process for filing taxes and claiming credits, so it’s always a good idea to check the IRS website regularly for updates. 

If you need help filing your tax return, contact BNC Tax for a consultation. We help our clients optimize their returns and make sure they are receiving all of the credits that are available to them.